EASY BEEF ENCHILADA CASSEROLE — Flour tortillas are layered with seasoned ground beef, enchilada sauce and cheese in this hearty, comforting, easy-to-make recipe.
When you’re craving a hearty dish made from a handful of pantry staples, you’ll be glad to have this easy recipe for Beef Enchilada Casserole.
There are a million enchilada casserole recipes out there. Some are loaded with all kinds of ingredients, but this one, with just six simple ingredients, is my family’s favorite.
And believe me, I’ve tried a lot of enchilada casseroles. Which proves that sometimes, less is more.
Layer everything in a 9-inch pan and you’ve got some true Tex-Mex comfort food on your hands. Of course, if you need to make this dish gluten-free, just use corn tortillas in place of the flour.
Now that my two oldest boys are living away from home, I’ve started scaling back some of my recipes to feed 3-4 people.
But if you need to feed more, you can easily double the recipe and make it in a 9×13 pan. In fact, you might want to double the recipe, because this is one of those dishes that might just taste better the next day.
If I have the time and motivation, I’ll whip up some Homemade Enchilada Sauce. It’s super quick and easy, but I use canned enchilada sauce most of the time, because I am all about shortcuts in the kitchen!
This is the kind of meal I crave when I’m in the mood for comfort food, so I always keep the ingredients handy in my pantry and freezer.
And I know this Beef Enchilada Casserole will always satisfy my hungry boys–at least the ones who are still living at home.
Be sure to save this Beef Enchilada Casserole recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Enchilada sauce
- Flour tortillas
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 (1 oz.) package taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Simmer until most of the liquid has disappeared, about 5 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce in the prepared baking dish. Tear two tortillas into large pieces and layer them over the sauce. Top with 1/2 of the meat mixture, 1/3 of the remaining sauce, and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat once.
- Finish with a third layer of torn tortillas, the remaining sauce and the remaining cheese. Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5-10 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 770mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 31g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Homemade Interest