GNOCCHI CHICKEN POT PIE — Potato gnocchi combines with tender chicken and vegetables in a creamy sauce that’s baked until bubbly, then topped with crispy, golden pie crust in this comforting recipe the whole family will love.
There’s nothing more comforting than chicken pot pie when the weather starts to turn chilly, and this Gnocchi Chicken Pot Pie is a unique taste on a classic that is destined to become a family favorite.
At least, this hearty meal includes all the ingredients my family loves, including gnocchi, a creamy sauce, and crispy, buttery pie crust.
Okay, the vegetables might not be everyone’s favorite, but when I include them in this delicious dish, I never hear a single complaint!
I always include diced potatoes in my chicken pot pies, and in this recipe, the gnocchi simply replaces the potatoes. Which makes the prep much quicker and easier, since there is no peeling and chopping involved.
Honestly, I think we all like this version with gnocchi even more than various versions with potatoes I’ve made over the years.
I always keep a few packages of shelf-stable gnocchi in my pantry. It cooks up in minutes, and is the basis of some of my family’s all time favorite recipes, like Sheet Pan Gnocchi and Tomatoes.
And it’s the perfect addition to this creamy, comforting pot pie, if I do say so myself.
Of course, traditional pot pies have that whole pie crust situation, which can also be labor intensive and time consuming. I just buy refrigerate pie crust, cut it into circles with my biscuit cutters, then bake it until golden and serve it over the warm pot pie filling.
If you don’t even want to bother with biscuit cutters, just cut it into wedges and crumble the cooked pie dough over the filling before serving.
This Gnocchi Chicken Pot Pie is the perfect thing to serve your family when you want a hearty, satisfying meal that’s a snap to prepare and will leave everyone asking for seconds.
Be sure to save this Gnocchi Chicken Pot Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Gnocchi Chicken Pot Pie
- Dutch Oven
- Baking Sheets
- Liquid measuring cups
- Measuring cups and spoons
- As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- Produce: carrots, onions, parsley
- Spices: thyme, oregano, salt and pepper
- Chicken broth
- Half and half
- Frozen peas
- 2 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz. gnocchi
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 2-3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Unroll the pie crusts onto a lightly floured surface and cut into bite-size pieces with biscuit cutters or a knife, Place the pieces on a large baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Melt the butter, then add the carrots and onions and cook until carrots are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme and oregano, followed by the flour and cook for a few more minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, and bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened. Stir in the gnocchi and cook until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Add the Half and Half, chicken and frozen peas and return to a simmer until everything is heated through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and arrange pie crust pieces over the top of each serving. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 861Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 171mgSodium: 1014mgCarbohydrates: 75gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 46g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe