GREEN CHILE CHICKEN POT PIE — A creamy, cheesy green chile and chicken filling is topped off with a delicious biscuit-like topping in this Tex-Mex style comfort food the whole family will love!
If you’re a fan of chicken pot pie, you’re going to love this unique twist on the comfort food classic. I like to think of this Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie as pot pie with a Southwest flair.
The filling is made with tender chunks of chicken, green enchilada sauce and green chilies, and plenty of pepper jack cheese–and that’s just for starters
If the filling doesn’t convince you to try this recipe, then let me tell you about the flaky, crumbly, cobbler like topping! It’s pre-baked for about 10 minutes, then crumbled over the filling for a unique and absolutely amazing pot pie topping that everyone loves.
In fact, this topping is so good, I’m considering making it the go-to topping for every pot pie I make from now until forever. It’s definitely the star of this recipe.
And that’s really saying something, because the creamy chicken filling is pretty amazing too!
Unlike other pot pie recipes, the filling in this dish isn’t loaded with lots of vegetables, but you could easily add things like corn, or diced jalapenos or red bell pepper for a more complete meal.
I also like to use the always convenient supermarket rotisserie chicken in this recipe to speed up the prep work, but you can definitely cook and shred your own chicken.
This would also be a great way to use leftover shredded Mexican chicken from tacos or burritos. There are definitely lot’s of ways to adapt this recipe, but believe me when I say it’s pretty much perfect just the way it is.
If you’re looking for a new twist on some classic comfort food, you need to try this Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie as soon as possible!
Be sure to save this Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Green Chile Chicken Pot Pie
- Parmesan cheese
- Baking powder
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Cream of chicken soup
- Green enchilada sauce
- Canned green chilies
- Pepper jack cheese
- Spices: cumin, salt and pepper
For the topping:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
For the filling:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
- 2 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chilies
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. For topping, whisk together flour, Parmesan cheese and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until just moistened. On a lightly greased baking pan, crumble mixture into 1/2 to1-inch pieces.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Stir in soup, enchilada sauce, green chiles, chicken, cumin, salt and pepper to taste Stir in half the cheese and the cilantro. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Add crumb topping in an even layer over top.
- Bake, uncovered, until topping is deep golden brown and filling is bubbly, 35-40 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 499Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 825mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 25g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home