SLOW COOKER CHICKEN POT PIE — Tender chunks of chicken and potato, with peas and carrots, are cooked in a creamy sauce, then topped off with wedges of flaky pie crust in this slow cooker version of classic comfort food.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie is officially my family’s favorite way to enjoy this classic comfort food. Which is fine by me, because it’s the easiest method of making chicken pot pie that I’ve tried.
I’ve made this 3 times already this month, and I rarely repeat recipes, so you know my family loves it! And we’re not the only ones. A friend recently told me she made this for her very picky eater and he loved it as much as the rest of her family.
I confess to using a rotisserie chicken, but otherwise I followed the recipe. Oh my word Danelle! It tastes exactly like Chicken pot pie and we devoured it all in one sitting. Make this delicious-ness now! So very good. ~ Tobi
Perhaps you are asking yourself how you cook a pot pie crust in the slow cooker. The answer is, you don’t.
Instead, you serve this pot pie with wedges of refrigerated pie crust that you bake separately in the oven. I know, brilliant.
This is perfect for my family, because some of us love crust and some of us don’t, and we can all add the amount of crust we like. And you never have to worry about soggy crust!
I made this today…..and it was a HUGE hit. The kids LOVED the pie crust wedges and took great delight in crumbling them up into the bowls.
It really is Chicken Pot Pie, just not in a pie pan. Will definitely make again! Thanks for the great recipe. ~ Padnerual
If you want to make things really easy, just toss in a back of frozen mixed vegetables.
This really is the easiest pot pie I’ve ever made. And it’s the epitome of comfort food. We may never eat pot pie any other way!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- Produce: carrots, potatoes, onions, fresh parsley
- Chicken broth
- Spices: salt and pepper, thyme
- Heavy cream
- Frozen peas
- Refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups peeled, diced potatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts total)
- Lightly grease a slow cooker. Add the cubed chicken, carrots, potatoes, and onion.
- Add chicken broth to slow cooker, along with salt, pepper, and thyme. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, turn slow cooker to high. Whisk together the cream and flour until smooth. Stir into slow cooker and mix well. Cook for an additional 30 minutes on high, or until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Unroll pie crusts and cut each into 8 wedges. Place wedges on large baking sheets and bake for about 8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Five minutes before serving, stir peas and parsley into slow cooker.
- Ladle mixture into bowls and top with one or two pie crust wedges.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 82mg Sodium: 469mg Carbohydrates: 40g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 6g Protein: 25g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens