GRILLED PHILLY CHEESE STEAK KABOBS — Steak, peppers, mushrooms, onions and hoagie roll pieces are threaded onto skewers, seasoned and grilled, in this fun twist on the classic cheese steak sandwich. Cheese sauce for dipping included!
If you love a good Philly cheese steak sandwich, then your are going to love these Grilled Philly Cheese Steak Kabobs.
And of course, my boys loved them too–I mean, steak! Okay, some of them didn’t like the mushrooms, but they just passed them off to dad and everyone was happy.
I have to admit, these cheese steak kabobs were pretty darn delicious. One of the best things we’ve grilled in a long time around here. And it’s such a fun way to eat a classic cheese steak sandwich.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, they’re really great wrapped in some flatbread for a hearty lunch sandwich.
Of course, a Philly cheese steak needs cheese, so I whipped up a savory cheese sauce to go with these kabobs. You can either dip your kabob pieces in the sauce, or just drizzle cheese sauce over everything.
I like to use green peppers on these kabobs, since that’s what is traditionally found in a cheese steak sandwich, but you could use any color of pepper you like.
And you do want to use a good quality steak in this recipe. A tougher cut of meat usually needs to marinade, and cook low and slow, so it’s not ideal for quick cooking methods like grilling.
But trust me, it’s worth it! These Grilled Philly Cheese Steak Kabobs are destined to be a new summer grilling favorite at your house. I know they are at mine!
Be sure to save this Grilled Philly Cheese Steak Kabobs recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Grilled Philly Cheese Steak Kabobs
- Produce: bell peppers, mushrooms, onions
- Hoagie rolls
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Velveeta cheese
- White cheddar cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
For the kabobs
- 1 pound steak, cut into cubes
- 8 ounces small mushrooms
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 hoagie rolls, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the cheese sauce
- 8 ounces Velveeta, cubed
- 3 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 1-2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Thread steak, vegetables and bread cubes onto skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak in water first).
- Preheat grill for medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, salt and pepper. Brush over kabobs.
- Grill for 6-8 minutes per side, or until steak is cooked to desired doneness, turning occasionally.
- To make the cheese sauce, combine Velveeta, white cheddar, butter and 1/2 cup of milk in a medium sauce pan. Heat over medium-low heat until cheese is melted. Add additional milk, stirring constantly, until sauce reaches desired consistency. Stir in Worcestershire sauce to taste. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve sauce with kabobs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 952mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 25g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens