ITALIAN SLOPPY JOE SUB SANDWICHES — These hearty meat sandwiches are loaded with beef, sausage and mozzarella cheese and are great for serving a crowd. They’re perfect for game day too!
If you’re looking for something filling and hearty to feed a crowd, or just some hungry teenage boys, look no further than these Italian Sloppy Joe Sub Sandwiches!
Filled with a meaty mixture of ground beef and Italian sausage, then loaded with mozzarella cheese, these easy to assemble sandwiches are perfect for game day, or almost any casual party or gathering.
When I say this recipe makes enough to serve a crowd, I’m not kidding. So if you’re not entertaining and just want to enjoy these delicious sub-style sloppy joes for dinner, I suggest cutting the recipe in half.
I actually like to make all of the filling, then freeze half and make another giant sub a few weeks later. My boys love this meal, so they are happy to eat it any time!
This recipe calls for half ground beef and half sausage, but you can definitely use all of one or the other. Ground turkey works great too!
And Provolone or cheddar are just fine in place of mozzarella.
There’s nothing more fun to serve at a party than a giant sandwich, and for cold weather gatherings, a hot sub like this is always a hit. Whenever I feed it to guests, it gets rave reviews.
If you really want to go all out, it’s easy to add pepperoni, mushrooms, olives or other pizza toppings and turned this into a big pizza style sub sandwich too.
However you serve this savory sandwich, people will be coming back for seconds! So be sure to keep this recipe handy for potlucks and game day and you’re guests will never go hungry!
Be sure to save this recipe for Italian Sloppy Joe Sub Sandwiches to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Italian Sloppy Joe Sub Sandwiches
- Ground beef
- Ground sausage
- Produce: onion, garlic, fresh parsley
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Parmesan cheese
- Spices: oregano, fennel seed, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
- Italian bread
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 loaves Italian bread
- 16 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large saute pan or Dutch oven, cook ground beef, sausage, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, fennel, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in fresh parsley.
- Meanwhile, cut bread in half lengthwise. Stir garlic salt into melted butter.
- Arrange half of the cheese on the bottom halves of the bread. Top with meat mixture, dividing it evenly between the two loaves. Top meat with remaining cheese slices. Replace the bread tops and brush with the butter and garlic salt mixture.
- Wrap each loaf in foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and sandwiches are hot. Cool slightly before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 329 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 75mg Sodium: 732mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Protein: 21g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home