LEMON POPPY SEED ZUCCHINI BREAD — This delightful poppy seed loaf, with a hint of lemon flavor, is a great way to use up all that garden fresh zucchini.
It’s that time of year when zucchini is abundant, and all your friends with gardens are trying to give away their surplus zucchini. You’re going to want to take them up on that offer, so you can make this delicious Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread!
I’m a huge fan of anything lemon and poppy seed flavored, and I love zucchini bread of any kind, so I knew I was going to love these tasty little loaves. And, like most quick breads, this is so easy to make!
My husband has some kind of weird aversion to zucchini. I mean, I can understand not liking it as a vegetable, but he usually refuses to eat it, even in baked goods.
Let’s be honest, it’s not like you taste the zucchini in baked goods–but he says he can. Well, not only did he eat this bread, he commented on how good it was.
I like making smaller loaves so I can share with friends and neighbors, but you could certainly use full size loaf pans, if you prefer.
I don’t bother peeling my zucchini before I shred it, but if you’d rather not have little fleck of green in your bread, feel free to peel your zucchini first.
We just moved into a new house this summer, so I don’t have a yard right now, let alone a garden. So I’ll definitely be taking my friends up on offers for free zucchini this year!
My family and I really loved this bread for breakfast, but I have to admit, I found myself snacking on it all day long! I can’t wait to make this citrus inspired zucchini bread again!
Be sure to save this Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Sour cream
- Produce: zucchini, lemons
- Poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 3 5x3 inch mini loaf pans.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just blended after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in the zucchini, lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes, then remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Southern Living