MINI DILL PICKLE PIZZAS — Ready made pie dough serves as the crust for these unique and delicious pizzas, featuring sliced dill pickles, a homemade white sauce, and lots of mozzarella cheese.
Right now you are probably thinking one of two things–that Mini Dill Pickle Pizzas sound amazing, or they sound absolutely disgusting.
Honestly, I didn’t know which one it would be until I tried them, and I’m here to tell you that these little pickle pizzas are insanely delicious! If you’re a fan of dill pickles that is.
My whole family was skeptical. Usually I can imagine how a recipe or dish is going to taste. I just couldn’t imagine how these pizzas would taste, but I figured I had to try.
My husband and son were even more skeptical than I was, and they both loved these savory, tangy, cheesy morsels. I made enough for us to have two pizzas each, and we all wish there would have been more.
So, have I convinced you that you need to try this crazy recipe?
I can get about 6 small pizzas with two ready-made pie crusts (like Pillsbury) if I reroll the scraps. The number of servings you end up with will obviously depend on how big or small you make your pizzas.
The sauce for this pizza is a simple white sauce made with garlic, butter, flour and milk, and it’s rich, creamy texture compliments the tang of the pickles perfectly.
And of course there’s cheese–it’s pizza, right? I used mozzarella, but any white, melty cheese will work just fine. Don’t skip the sprinkling of everything bagel seasoning. It adds so much flavor.
You’re going to have to trust me on this one. If you think these Mini Dill Pickle Pizzas sound like a terrible idea, give them a try. You’re going to love them!
Be sure to save this recipe for Mini Dill Pickle Pizzas to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Mini Dill Pickle Pizzas
- Prepared pie crust
- Produce: garlic, fresh dill
- Spices: salt and pepper, everything bagel seasoning
- Mozzarella cheese
- Dill pickles
- 2 sheets prepared pie crust
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3-4 large dill pickles, thinly sliced
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Fresh dill, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough and cut out 6 circles, about 6 inches in diameter. (I traced around the outside of a small bowl). Places crusts on the prepared baking sheets.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter and garlic over low heat. Cook and stir until the butter is melted and the garlic is fragrant. Turn heat to medium and whisk in the flour. Gradually whisk in the milk, 1/4 cup at a time until the sauce has thickened to the desired consistency.
- Spread a generous amount of sauce in the middle of each crust, leaving 1-inch uncovered around the edges. Top sauce with cheese and a layer of dill pickle slices. (I used a mandoline for very thin slices). Finish with another small sprinkling of cheese, and a few more pickles, if desired.
- Whisk together the egg and water. Brush the uncovered edge of the crust with the egg wash and fold over the filling in small sections to form a crust. Brush the outside crust with more egg wash and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Garnish with fresh dill.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 756Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 1882mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 28g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like: