OVERNIGHT EGGNOG COFFEE CAKE — Prepare this delicious eggnog infused coffee cake the night before, then bake on Christmas morning for an easy breakfast everyone will love.
If you love eggnog and easy, make-ahead breakfast options, then you’re going to love this Overnight Eggnog Coffee Cake!
You mix up the eggnog infused batter the night before, then it sits in your refrigerator for at least 8 hours–longer that that is okay too.
All you have to do in the morning is pop this coffee cake in the oven for about 40 minutes, then drizzle with some eggnog glaze, and breakfast is served.
Of course, it helps if you love eggnog, which isn’t really a problem at my house. We probably love eggnog a little too much around here.
I like to serve this coffee cake with some fresh fruit, to balance out all the sweetness and to offer something healthy too. Plus, this cake just tastes really, really good with fresh berries.
This recipe is also perfect for taking along to holiday parties and potlucks, and could definitely do double duty as a dessert. I mean, it is a cake after all.
I usually make my cake with vanilla extract, since that’s usually what I have on hand. But if you have rum extract, it really enhances the eggnog flavor. An extra pinch of nutmeg doesn’t hurt either.
Another great option for Christmas morning is to serve this coffee cake alongside a savory make-ahead breakfast casserole. That way everyone is satisfied!
If you’re looking for a ridiculously easy, sweet breakfast option to serve this holiday season, you’ve got to try this Overnight Eggnog Coffee Cake. Happy baking!
Be sure to save this Overnight Eggnog Coffee Cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Overnight Eggnog Coffee Cake
- Sour cream
- Vanilla or rum extract
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Powdered sugar
For the streusel topping
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or rum extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons eggnog
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a small bowl, combine streusel ingredients until crumbly. Set aside.
- To make the cake: with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat sugar and 1/2 cup butter until smooth and creamy. Mix in the eggnog, sour cream, rum or vanilla extract and eggs.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the batter.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and eggnog in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle of cake and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 5g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Betty Crocker