PAPRIKA CHICKEN — Seasoned breaded chicken breasts are fried until crispy, baked until done, then smothered in a delicious, creamy gravy. You’ll crave this comfort food again and again.
If you’re a fan of fried chicken and gravy, then you’re definitely going to love this crispy, juicy Paprika Chicken!
The chicken is marinated for several hours to make it super tender, then dredged in a seasoned flour mixture, with plenty of paprika, of course.
Then the chicken fried for a few minutes so you get a golden crispy crust before popping it in the oven to finish baking.
But the gravy may just be the best part. It’s made with some of the seasoned flour mixture from frying the chicken, so it’s loaded with flavor and compliments the flavors in the chicken perfectly.
I mean, talk about pure comfort food–fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy is about as good as it gets.
If you want to make your paprika chicken a little more spicy (my family loves it that way!) then just add extra cayenne pepper to your flour mixture.
And don’t forget, you need to save about 1/2 cup of the seasoned flour for making your gravy.
When it comes to browning your chicken in oil, I definitely recommend a cast iron skillet. It’s the best way to get that crispy, golden coating. Obviously, if you’re counting calories this dish isn’t the best choice.
But if you really want to enjoy a cheat day, this paprika chicken with gravy is totally worth it! Especially with the mashed potatoes!
I like to finish this off with a sprinkling of freshly chopped parsley, but fresh thyme or oregano are also great choices. Either way, this Paprika Chicken is sure to be a hit!
Be sure to save this Paprika Chicken recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Paprika Chicken
- Produce: garlic, fresh parsley
- Spices: paprika, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, marjoram
- Vegetable oil
- Chicken broth
- Sour cream
- Lemon juice
For the chicken
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 eggs
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the gravy
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour mixture
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish if desired
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In small bowl, whisk together eggs and garlic. Place chicken in a large, zip-top bag and add the egg mixture. Seal tightly. Refrigerate chicken for at least 3 hours.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and marjoram. Reserve 1/2 cup of the flour mixture to make the gravy.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dredge the chicken breasts in the remaining flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown chicken for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and place chicken in dish. Bake, uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gravy. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in the reserved flour mixture and cook for about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk, then chicken broth, until smooth. Stir in the sour cream and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the parsley just before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 648 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 251mg Sodium: 1329mg Carbohydrates: 40g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 50g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Crispy Cheddar Chicken
Tender chicken breast pieces are coated in a cheesy crumb crust, baked until golden, then topped with a simple chicken gravy.
Creamy Coconut Lime Chicken
Chicken breasts are simmered in a slightly spicy coconut milk based sauce in this quick and easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love!
Baked Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Cream Sauce
Chicken breasts are lightly breaded, then baked in a creamy sauce with mushrooms, almonds and celery in this easy but elegant dish that perfect for company or a week night meal.
Queso Chicken and Rice Bake
Chicken breasts and rice are smothered in a Tex-Mex seasoned queso sauce, then topped off with fresh chopped tomatoes in this comfort food casserole the whole family will love!
Orange Gorgonzola Chicken
An orange marmalade sauce and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese top sauteed chicken breasts in this easy but elegant meal.
Easy Barbecue Pineapple Chicken
Chicken breasts are baked in barbecue sauce with pineapple chunks in this easy weeknight meal the whole family will love.
Easy Honey Mustard Chicken
Chicken breasts baked in a sweet and spicy mustard sauce with fresh tarragon.
Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce
This easy chicken dish, with a creamy mustard sauce, is on the table in about 20 minutes!
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Chef in Training