SLOW COOKER RED BEANS AND RICE — Red beans and andouille sausage, slow cooked and served over hot cooked rice, with a green onion garnish.
I have never been to New Orleans. Actually, not even Louisiana. So if I’ve done this wrong, forgive me. But this Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice is really, really good. And so comforting.
A few things I changed from the original recipe: I left out the celery, because I knew my kids wouldn’t eat it. So feel free to add it back in if you’d like.
As someone who grew up in Louisiana, I have to say, pretty good job…..this didn’t stray too far from some good Cajun cooking. ~ Gwen
And I doubled the amount of sausage. So maybe now we should call it Red Beans and Sausage and Rice. I’m good with that.
You do definitely need to boil your beans first, or they’ll never get done in the slow cooker. And do cook it on high, at least until the beans are done. Then go ahead and turn it down if you aren’t going to eat it right away.
Also, andouille sausage is fairly spicy, so keep that in mind if and when you add the jalapeno and cayenne pepper. You could also use a milder version of smoked sausage if you like.
This does make enough to feed an army, so feel free to half the recipe. It freezes well too.
I don’t mind leftovers either. I’d happily eat this red beans and rice for lunch for several days, so it doesn’t bother me at all to have leftovers.
If you’re looking for a delicious, hearty meal to celebrate Mardis Gras, this Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice recipe would be perfect.
But don’t wait for a holiday to make it. This dish is delicious any time of year!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- Red beans
- Andouille sausage
- Chicken broth
- Produce: onions, garlic, jalapeno, green onions
- Tomato paste
- Spices: salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano
- 1 pound dried red beans
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds andouille sasage, sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- Green onions, for garnish
- Rinse and drain beans. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with water by 2 inches.
- Bring beans to a boil on the stove top. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Place the remaining ingredients, except for the rice and green onions, in a slow cooker. Cover and turn to high.
- When the beans have soaked for one hour, drain and add to the slow cooker. Continue cooking on high for 7-8 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with green onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 58mg Sodium: 1528mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 4g Protein: 17g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from My Recipes