SAUTEED CHICKEN WITH FRESH PLUM SALSA — Pan sauteed chicken breasts are finished off with a sweet, fresh plum salsa. Perfect for when you’re eating light!
The holidays are over, which means it’s time for us to start watching what we eat a little more carefully.
And this delicious Sauteed Chicken with Fresh Plum Salsa is the perfect way to make that transition into healthier eating, because it’s actually beautiful and flavorful enough to pass as a holiday meal, minus all the fat and calories!
Even better, if you prepare the salsa ahead of time, this dish comes together in about 10 minutes!
And since plums are in season right now, it’s going to be extra flavorful. In fact, I suggest making a little extra plum salsa, since it’s hard not to sample it while you wait for the chicken to cook.
If you’re not quite ready to jump back in to totally healthy eating, it’s pretty great with tortilla chips too!
But let’s not think about that, because with a side salad or some grilled veggies, this colorful chicken dish is the perfect way to start the new year.
Be sure to save this recipe for Sauteed Chicken with Fresh Plum Salsa to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Tips for Choosing and Storing Plums
Appearance: Look for plums that are plump with smooth, unblemished skin. Avoid plums that are wrinkled or have spots or discoloration.
Ripeness: Most plums should give slightly when gently squeezed. Some varieties, like green and yellow plums will remain firm even when ripe.
Under-ripe plums are good for cooking or making preserves. Ripen plums at room temperature until soft. To quickly ripen plums, try placing them in a brown paper bag for a few days.
Storing: Once ripened, plums can be stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Sauteed Chicken with Fresh Plum Salsa
- Produce: plums, jalapenos, fresh basil, red onion
- Lime juice
- Spices: salt and pepper, cumin
- Brown sugar
- Olive oil
- 3 ripe plums, pitted and diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 chicken breast cutlets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a medium bowl, stir together diced plums, jalapeno, basil, onion, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar. Set aside (or refrigerate if making ahead).
- In a small bowl combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and cumin. Rub the brown sugar mixture over the chicken cutlets.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for about 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Top with plum salsa and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 90mg Sodium: 432mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Protein: 33g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from My Recipes