SICILIAN CHEESE PIZZA — With a thick, bread-like crust and loads of melted mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, this hearty, satisfying pizza is sure to become a favorite.
If you’re a fan of thick crust pizza like I am, then you are going to love this Sicilian Cheese Pizza!
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good thin crust pizza too. But some occasions just call for a big, hearty pizza with a bread-like crust.
And despite it’s simple ingredient list, list Sicilian-style pizza always gets high praise from anyone who tries it. It’s definitely the favorite homemade pizza recipe at my house.
My family first tried Sicilian pizza on vacation one summer, and we all loved it so much, I knew I needed to recreate it at home.
Even with the homemade crust, it’s truly and easy recipe that is sure to become part of your regular dinner rotation.
Besides the thick crust, another hallmark of a Sicilian pizza is that it’s usually rectangular instead of circular, and cut into squares instead of wedges.
However, if you want to go with the more traditional pizza shape, the flavor of this pizza will still be out of this world.
And of course, this simple cheese version is just the beginning of the possibilities for toppings. With such a thick crust, you can definitely load this pizza up with all of your favorites.
This Sicilian Cheese Pizza is proof that sometimes, the simplest things in life are the best. I hope you love this pizza as much as we do!
Be sure to save this Sicilian Cheese Pizza recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Sicilian Cheese Pizza
- Olive oil
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Marinara sauce
- Spices: Italian seasoning, salt
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
For the toppings
- 1 pound sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- For the crust, combine the warm water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, until the yeast is foamy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours and salt. Add the yeast mixture and 2 tablespoon of olive oil and mix to combine. Using an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, or by hand, knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and let rise for 1 hour, or until the dough is doubled in size.
- Grease a large baking sheet with the remaining olive oil. Press or roll the dough into a large rectangle, approximately 12x18 inches. Cover and let rise for about one hour, until risen and puffy.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Cover the pizza dough with the sliced mozzarella. Sprinkle evenly with the Parmesan cheese. Spoon the sauce over the cheese. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is melted and bubbly. Cut into squares and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 561Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 1067mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from the Corleone Family Cookbook