SLOW COOKER CHICKEN BURRITO FILLING — Chicken, rice, black beans and corn come together in this hearty slow cooker burrito filling!
My former college roommate Becky shared this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Filling with me a few months ago and I’ve made it at least four times since then (that’s a lot for someone who doesn’t repeat recipes often).
I live in a houseful of teen and pre-teen boys, after all, so any recipe that can be described with phrases like “super easy,” “makes a ton,” and “burritos” is going to be a hit!
I adapted Becky’s recipe slightly to suit my family’s tastes and to use what I had on hand. The original version used 2 cans of beans, but I knew my kids would like it better with just one can.
If you’d like, stir in some fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, or a bit of lime juice just before serving.
This is one of the easiest dinner recipes in my repertoire. Even better, it makes enough to feed us for two days, and the leftovers also make great lunches for my college student.
Becky recommended serving it with Cilantro Lime Dressing, and I definitely agree!
In a house where we don’t repeat recipes very often, this Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Filling is one I find myself making all the time! I hope you love it too.
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Filling recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Filling
- Canned black or pinto beans
- Frozen corn
- Green enchilada sauce
- Diced green chilies
- Cilantro and/or green onions
- Lime juice
- Tortillas, for serving
- 1-2 cans (15 oz.) black or pinto beans (or one of each), drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (10 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups cooked rice (or 1.5 cups uncooked Minute Rice)
- Chopped cilantro and/or green onions, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice, optional
- Tortillas, for serving
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Add beans, corn, enchilada sauce, salsa, green chilies and chicken breasts to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Twenty minutes before serving, remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred. Add cooked rice (or uncooked Minute Rice), along with shredded chicken, to the slow cooker and stir. Just before serving stir in cilantro, green onions and lime juice, if using. Serve in warm tortillas with optional toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 196mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Protein: 16g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
These baked chimichangas are loaded with savory slow cooked shredded chicken and cheese, then smothered in a cream green chile sauce. They'll satisfy any craving for Mexican food!
Who Dished It Up First: My college roommate Becky