SLOW COOKER SWEDISH MEATBALLS — These slow cooker Swedish meatballs are so easy to make, thanks to the help of pre-made, frozen meatballs. The creamy sauce makes this dish pure comfort food.
When I was a kid, Swedish meatballs were a special meal at my house, so these Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs really take me back to my childhood.
They taste just like the ones mom used to make, with a few twists to make them super simple and easy. First, I use pre-cooked, frozen meatballs to save time.
You can always make homemade meatballs, brown them, then add them to the slow cooker if you’d like. But I do love a good shortcut in the kitchen, and the truth is, my teenage boys can’t tell the difference between a frozen meatball and a homemade one.
My mom made her Swedish meatballs on the stove top, but I love doing it in the slow cooker. It’s so nice to get dinner going early in the day when I’ve got plenty of energy.
Then I don’t have to worry about prepping a meal during that crazy time between school getting out and dinner time.
My mom always served her Swedish meatballs with noodles, but we really love piling them on top of mashed potatoes. Either way is delicious, and total comfort food.
The creamy sauce is my favorite part. With a hint of nutmeg and allspice, it has that distinct and delicious Swedish meatball flavor.
Mushrooms are a great addition to the sauce if you like them. Just add them to the slow cooker along with everything else.
A generous sprinkling of fresh parsley before serving is the perfect way to finish things off. Some people like to garnish their Swedish meatballs with fresh dill, and consider it more traditional.
If you’re looking for a warm, hearty meal to serve on a cold winter day, these Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs are a must make.
They’re a favorite at my house and I hope they will be at your house too.
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs
- Beef broth
- Cream of chicken soup
- Onion soup mix
- Pre-cooked frozen meatballs
- Sour cream
- Heavy cream
- Fresh parsley
- Noodles or mashed potatoes, for serving
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 40 fully cooked frozen meatballs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Minced fresh parsley, for garnish
- Add beef broth to lightly greased slow cooker. Whisk in flour until smooth. Stir in cream of chicken soup, onion soup mix, nutmeg and allspice.
- Add meatballs to sauce in slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Uncover and stir in sour cream and cream. Cover and cook an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in fresh parsley and serve over hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 84mg Sodium: 1133mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 16g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home