TATER TOT CHICKEN POT PIE — Instead of the traditional crust, this hearty chicken pot pie is topped off with a layer of crispy tater tots, making it a favorite of both kids and adults alike.
The whole family is going to love this Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie, filled with tender chicken and vegetables in a creamy sauce, then topped off with a layer of crispy tater tots.
I love a good chicken pot pie, but I don’t always love the time it takes to prepare it in the traditional style, with a top and bottom crust. So I’m always looking for pot pie shortcuts.
Let me tell you, tater-tots are the perfect solution. I usually include diced potatoes in my chicken pot pie, and using tater tots takes care of that–no dicing required.
And the tots also fulfill my requirement for a golden, crunchy crust, without all the hassle of rolling out pie dough.
As much as I love pie crust, there’s something about the golden potato topping on this pot pie that I kind of love even more!
If I’m feeling fancy, I’ll take the time to arrange the tater tots nicely over the pot pie filling. But it tastes just as good to randomly toss them on your pot pie.
As long as your tots are in a single layer, so that each one can turn crispy and golden brown. Because no one like a soggy pot pie crust, whether it’s made of potatoes, or traditional pie dough.
And it goes without saying that this dish is a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. If I don’t have leftover chicken, I almost always use a supermarket rotisserie chicken to save time.
Now that my kids are older, and not always living at home, I often half the recipe for this Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie and bake it up in individual serving dishes. Either way, it’s always a hit at my house!
Be sure to save this Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie
- Produce: onions, fresh parsley
- Spices: thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper
- Chicken broth
- Frozen peas and carrots
- Frozen corn
- Cheddar cheese
- Frozen tater tots
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half and half (or whole milk)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (18 oz.) bag frozen tater tots
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter. Add onions and cook until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook a few minutes more.
- Slowly whisk half and half into pan, followed by the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened. Stir in thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Next, stir in cooked chicken, frozen peas and carrots, and frozen corn. Stir in cheese and cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour chicken mixture into prepared baking dish. Arrange frozen tater tots in a single layer on top of the chicken filling.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and tater tots are golden brown. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 147mgSodium: 535mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 33g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Little Spice Jar