TATER TOT CHICKEN POT PIE — Instead of the traditional crust, this hearty chicken pot pie is topped off with a layer of crispy tater tots, making it a favorite of both kids and adults alike.
The whole family is going to love this Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie, filled with tender chicken and vegetables in a creamy sauce, then topped off with a layer of crispy tater tots.
I love a good chicken pot pie, but I don’t always love the time it takes to prepare it in the traditional style, with a top and bottom crust. So I’m always looking for pot pie shortcuts.
Let me tell you, tater-tots are the perfect solution. I usually include diced potatoes in my chicken pot pie, and using tater tots takes care of that–no dicing required.
And the tots also fulfill my requirement for a golden, crunchy crust, without all the hassle of rolling out pie dough.
As much as I love pie crust, there’s something about the golden potato topping on this pot pie that I kind of love even more!
If I’m feeling fancy, I’ll take the time to arrange the tater tots nicely over the pot pie filling. But it tastes just as good to randomly toss them on your pot pie.
As long as your tots are in a single layer, so that each one can turn crispy and golden brown. Because no one like a soggy pot pie crust, whether it’s made of potatoes, or traditional pie dough.
As for the filling, that’s pretty adaptable. Along with chicken, I usually include peas, carrots and corn. But you can include anything you would put in a traditional pot pie.
And it goes without saying that this dish is a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. If I don’t have leftover chicken, I almost always use a supermarket rotisserie chicken to save time.
Now that my kids are older, and not always living at home, I often half the recipe for this Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie and bake it up in individual serving dishes. Either way, it’s always a hit at my house!
Be sure to save this Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie
- Produce: onions, fresh parsley
- Spices: thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper
- Chicken broth
- Frozen peas and carrots
- Frozen corn
- Cheddar cheese
- Frozen tater tots
Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie
Instead of the traditional crust, this hearty chicken pot pie is topped off with a layer of crispy tater tots, making it a favorite of both kids and adults alike.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half and half (or whole milk)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (18 oz.) bag frozen tater tots
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter. Add onions and cook until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook a few minutes more.
- Slowly whisk half and half into pan, followed by the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened. Stir in thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Next, stir in cooked chicken, frozen peas and carrots, and frozen corn. Stir in cheese and cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour chicken mixture into prepared baking dish. Arrange frozen tater tots in a single layer on top of the chicken filling.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and tater tots are golden brown. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 147mgSodium: 535mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 33g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
More Delicious Casserole Recipes
Tex-Mex Tater Tot Casserole
A Southwest seasoned ground beef filling with black beans and corn is topped with cheese and crunchy tater tots in this remake of a classic hot dish.
Easy Meatball Orzo Casserole
Orzo pasta, frozen meatballs, Alfredo sauce, pesto and spinach combine in this quick and easy casserole that the whole family will love.
Crescent Roll Pizza Casserole
A savory ground beef and tomato mixture is topped with shredded cheese and sandwiched between two layers of flaky croissant dough. Total comfort food!
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Tortillas, chicken, peppers, cheese and a creamy sauce are layered together in this crowd-pleasing Southwest casserole
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Little Spice Jar
Hi Danelle, this recipe is genius! I love making leftover pies and normally opt for a puff pie pastry crust or mashed potatoes. I have never thought of using tater tots. Am I right in thinking that the British alternative of tater tots are croquettes? Thanks for sharing!
This was DELICIOUS! My husband and I both loved it. I made it exactly as written and will definitely be making it again. Thank you!!
Well it’s in the oven. Final review will be when my wife’s gets home from work. Easy to make. Smells delicious so far. Pretty sure my wife’s will love it. She’s been craving comfort food. Think this will do the truck.