CHEESY HAM AND POTATO SOUP — A cheesy, creamy broth is loaded with diced potatoes and chopped ham in this satisfying soup the whole family will love.
My family can never eat an entire ham, so I’m always looking for ways to use the leftovers, and this Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is one of our favorite ways to use up extra ham.
This soup is hearty, filling, and so easy to make. I like to chop any leftover ham I have and store it in the freezer so I can make this soup any time.
My 3 year old daughter and I just made this for lunch, along with some grilled cheese. It was so simple and delicious that it will definitely be on my list of “make again soon” meals. Thanks!! ~ Alisha
This tasty recipe is a hit with both kids and adults. My dad, who says he doesn’t like potato soup, even gave it two thumbs up!
Most any kind of potatoes will work in this recipe, so use whatever you like best, or happen to have on hand. Same goes for the cheese, although my favorites to use in this recipe are cheddar and Swiss.
To make this soup even more filling (and healthy) I sometimes add a can or two of white beans. My kids like it better without though, so I usually just stick to potatoes.
I tried this last night and it turned out so well! Thanks for the recipe. ~ The Benfields
You could also use beans in place of the potatoes. And if you’d like to lighten the recipe up a bit, you can use milk instead of Half & Half.
I like to serve this soup with some crusty bread and a side salad for a complete, satisfying meal. You’ll definitely want to tuck this recipe away so it’s handy when you have holiday leftovers.
Be sure to save this Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
- Olive oil
- Produce: celery, onion, potatoes, green onions
- Diced ham
- Chicken stock
- Spices: salt and pepper, thyme
- Half and half
Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
A cheesy, creamy broth is loaded with diced potatoes and chopped ham in this satisfying soup the whole family will love.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 5-6 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2-3 cups diced cooked ham
- 6-8 cups chicken stock (enough to cover vegetables)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I like cheddar and Swiss)
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and cook until just tender. Add the potatoes, ham and chicken stock, using just enough stock to cover the vegetables and meat.
- Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the melted butter and flour until smooth. Gradually whisk butter/flour mixture into soup, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in Half and Half and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until soup thickens, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and cook, stirring often, until cheese is melted. Re-season soup with additional salt and pepper before serving, if needed. Garnish with chopped green onions before serving.
Keywords: ham, potato, cheese, soup
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from allrecipes.com