These Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros are one of our family’s favorite Greek style meals. The chicken comes out so tender and juicy in the slow cooker. And honestly, it couldn’t be any easier!
We order similar gyros so often at our favorite Greek restaurant, I figured it was time to start making them at home! Because I have some picky eaters, I like to serve the chicken and toppings separately so everyone can build their own gyro to suit their tastes. So feel free to add or omit toppings to your liking. If you like things spicy, try adding hot sauce and jalapenos to your gyro! Feta cheese is also a fabulous addition. But whatever you do, don’t skip the tzatziki sauce.
Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- Pita bread or flatbread
- 1 cup tzatziki sauce
- In a slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, garlic, oregano, lemon-pepper, allspice and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred.
- Stir 1/2 cup yogurt into onions and juices in slow cooker.
- Return chicken to slow cooker and stir to combine with yogurt sauce.
- Use a slotted spoon to stuff warmed pitas or flatbread with chicken mixture.
- Top with tomato, red pepper, cucumber and tzatziki sauce.
- Serving Size: 6
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Key Ingredient