SPICY SMOKED SAUSAGE ALFREDO BAKE — Pasta and smoked sausage come together with a creamy, cheesy sauce in this quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Every once in a while, I hit the recipe jackpot with my family and serve something that every single person at the table devours, while proclaiming with their mouths full of food, “This is good!” This Spicy Smoked Sausage Alfredo Bake was one of those recipes
And the best part–this crowd pleasing casserole is so easy to make. It didn’t even bother me that it was gone in half the time it took me to put it on the table.
Just made this. It was amazing! So yummy!!!! First time in awhile that all 5 members of my family liked the same dish! Thank you! ~ Becky
My boys are all huge fans of Alfredo, (this slow cooker Alfredo sauce is one of our favorites!), which is probably why they love this dish so much.
And I love that the sausage adds that extra bit of protein that so important for growing boys.
This dish is pretty much a winner all the way around!
I also love that the recipe is so easily adaptable. You can use any kind of pasta in this dish, but I recommend a tube or spiral variety–shells would be good too.
My favorite pasta to use in this dish is cavatappi. It’s fancy and fun at the same time. Just use something sturdy to go along with all of the sliced sausage.
Second time making it, it’s delish! I left out the red pepper flakes to make it a little more kid friendly & they devoured it! Leftovers tasted great too. This will definitely be made again. Might even add some broccoli next time. Thanks! ~ Rachel
You can switch up the sausage too, if you’d like. Just be aware that many varieties of sausage would need to be cooked ahead of time.
There are so many things you could add to this recipe too. Think mushrooms, bell peppers, etc., and of course, you could make a non-spicy version.
My family loved it as is, but feel free to experiment and adapt it to your tastes. I’ve had so many friends tell me they tried this creamy pasta dish and loved it.
Be sure to save this Spicy Smoked Sausage Alfredo Bake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Tips for Cooking Pasta
Use a big pot: Cook pasta in a large pot–big enough to hold 6 quarts of water per pound of pasta.
Salt: Generously season your cooking water with salt. A few teaspoons per quart of water is a good place to start. Although a little more or less is fine, depending on your preference.
Don’t overcook: Boil your pasta to until it is al dente, which means it’s cooked, but still a bit chewy. You’ll want to test your pasta for flavor and texture every 20 seconds or so during the last few minutes of cooking.
If you’ll continue cooking the pasta in a sauce, or baking it in the oven, remove the pot from the heat a few minutes before it’s done to prevent overcooking.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Spicy Smoked Sausage Alfredo Bake
- Produce: garlic, fresh parsley
- Chicken broth
- Half and Half
- Spices: salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Smoked sausage
- 16 ounces dry pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (12 oz) fully cooked smoked sausage, any variety
- Cook pasta according to package directions until just al dente; drain.
- While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour.
- Whisk in chicken broth until smooth, then stir in half and half.
- Add salt, pepper, cayenne, and red pepper flakes and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella until cheeses are melted and smooth.
- Slice sausage into 1/4 inch pieces and add to the sauce, along with the chopped parsley and cooked pasta. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Preheat broiler. Pour the pasta mixture into a lightly greased, 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 476 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 66mg Sodium: 682mg Carbohydrates: 50g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 19g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Baked Chicken Spinach Spaghetti
This rich and creamy baked pasta dish features chicken, spinach and spaghetti in a cheesy Alfredo style sauce. It's comfort food the whole family will love.
Baked Spaghetti Lasagna
Hearty baked spaghetti in a creamy mozzarella and ricotta base, topped with a flavorful sausage marinara sauce.
Classic Southern Mac and Cheese
With two kinds of cheese, crispy bacon, and a crunchy breadcrumb topping, this class macaroni and cheese recipe is the ultimate comfort food.
Easy Tuscan Chicken Pasta Bake
Pasta and chicken in a creamy cheese sauce, loaded with spinach, peppers and fresh herbs. An easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love!
Cheesy Gnocchi and Sausage Skillet
Tender gnocchi pasta with Italian sausage and cheese cooks up in one skillet for a quick and easy meal!
Rotel Chicken Spaghetti
Spaghetti gets a spicy kick with the addition of cheese and diced tomatoes and green chilies!
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.