TEX-MEX TATER TOT CASSEROLE — A Southwest seasoned ground beef filling with black beans and corn is topped with cheese and crunchy tater tots in this remake of a classic hot dish.
When I was a kid, my mom made tater tot casserole on a regular basis, and it was one of my least favorite meals. Well, let me tell you, this Tex-Mex Tater Tot Casserole is not your mamma’s tater tot casserole!
My mom’s version featured hamburger and canned cream of mushroom soup, poured over top of frozen tater tots and baked.
That’s right, the tater tots went on the bottom of the casserole.
Which means–you guessed it–they were just a soggy mess. Don’t worry, us kids laugh about it with mom now, but for a lot of years, I had no idea how good tater tot casserole could be.
And this version, with tons of Tex-Mex spices and ingredients, is by far my favorite version of this classic childhood dish.
For one thin, the tater tots go on top in this recipe, which means they get nice and crispy, the way tater tots should be.
And yes, you can totally replace regular tater tots with frozen sweet potato tots if you like.
I take the easy route and use packaged taco seasoning in this recipe, but you can definitely add your own spices and seasonings if you prefer.
I recommend making this up in a cast iron skillet, but a 9 x 13 baking dish will work just as well.
The bubbly, cheesy filling, topped with the crispy, crunchy tater tots is total comfort food. It takes me back to my childhood. But in a good way!
And my husband and kids love it too! At least I think they do–hopefully they won’t be lamenting their mother’s tater tot casserole 30 years down the road.
Be sure to save this Tex-Mex Tater Tot Casserole recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Tex-Mex Tater Tot Casserole
- Ground beef
- Produce: onion, garlic, jalapeno, bell peppers
- Taco seasoning mix
- Shredded pepper jack cheese
- Black beans
- Frozen corn
- Salt and pepper
- Frozen tater tots
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 3/4 cup milk
- 8 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 (14 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 bags frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium high heat. Add ground been, onion and garlic and cook until no longer pink. Add the peppers and saute until just tender.
- Add the flour and taco seasoning and cook a few minutes more. Gradually stir in the milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer 2-3 minutes until mixture is thickened.
- Add half the cheese, along with the black beans and corn. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the ground beef mixture. Top with frozen tater tots.
- Place skillet on a sheet pan and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until tater tots are golden brown and crispy. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 366 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 78mg Sodium: 538mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 2g Protein: 28g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Beef Pineapple Fajitas
Beef is marinated in a blend of pineapple juice and spices, then sauteed with peppers and fresh pineapple and served in warm flour tortillas.
Chorizo Bacon Queso
This hot, cheesy dip is loaded with green chilies, crispy bacon and chorizo for an over the top appetizer or game day snack!
Smothered Chicken Burritos
Slow cooked chicken, rice and cheese, rolled in tortillas then smothered in a creamy green chili sauce and baked.
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
Tender, slow cooked shredded chicken. Perfect for tacos, burritos, enchiladas and more!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
This quick and easy Tex Mex chicken dish is a meal the whole family will love!
Homemade Pico de Gallo
Diced tomatoes, jalapenos, onions and cilantro star in this refreshing salsa that's perfect with tortilla chips, or served over enchiladas and burritos.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Pinch of Yum