CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE — A Thanksgiving favorite, this classic pecan pie is made even more delicious with the addition of chocolate chips. Includes instructions for making ahead and freezing.
After pumpkin pie, I’d say pecan pie is one of the most traditional pies to serve for Thanksgiving. And if you ask me, this Chocolate Pecan Pie is even more decadent and delicious than classic pecan pie.
I mean, what dessert isn’t improved with the addition of chocolate?
A few years ago, after my son returned from a church mission in the South, he asked me to include pecan pie on our Thanksgiving menu. This is the recipe I ended up making, and it was a huge hit!
My son said it was hands-down his favorite pie that Thanksgiving. It was my favorite too, and I’m planning to include it on my Thanksgiving menu every year from now on.
Best of all, it can be prepared ahead and baked from frozen. I’m all for getting things done ahead of time when I’ve got a big meal to prepare.
You could certainly make a homemade pie crust to go with this recipe, but another thing I’m all for when it comes to shortcuts in the kitchen is using prepared pie dough.
Both the refrigerated version that comes in a roll, or a pre-made, frozen crust are both great options. I used to be all about the made-from-scratch pie crust, until I realized my family can’t tell the difference.
Some people prefer to use pecan halves in this kind of pie. I like to coarsely chop my pecans, but either way is delicious, so go right ahead and do what you like best.
This Chocolate Pecan Pie is so gooey and decadent. My husband likes it with a dollop of whipped cream, but I prefer to enjoy my slice plain–if you can call something so delicious “plain.”
This pie is definitely a favorite at our house, and it’s destined to become a Thanksgiving tradition. I hope you love it as much as we do.
Be sure to save this Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Pie crust
- Brown sugar
- Corn syrup
- Chocolate chips
- Pie crust for single crust pie
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (or pecan halves)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place prepared pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate, pressing firmly against the bottom and sides. Trim the edge of the crust to 1 inch from the rim of the pie pan. Flute edge as desired.
- Bake crust for 12-15 minutes, or until just golden. Fill with pie weights before baking to keep crust from shrinking.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, corn syrup, vanilla, salt and eggs. Stir in pecans and chocolate chips. Pour into prepared crust.
- To freeze for later, let pie pan cool, then cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in freezer until ready to bake.
- To bake immediately, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover edge of crust with foil or a pie shield. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until set. To bake from frozen (do not thaw pie before baking), add 30 minutes to cooking time. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Betty Crocker