DETROIT STYLE PEPPERONI PIZZA — Not your ordinary pizza, this rectangular pizza is topped with cubes of mozzarella cheese that form an irresistible crunchy crust around the edges of the pan. It’s destined to become your favorite pizza recipe!
Prepare yourself to taste the best pepperoni pizza you’ve ever had, because that’s what you’ll get when you make this Detroit Style Pepperoni Pizza.
Confession: I’m not a huge pizza fan, but I would happily eat this pizza every night of the week. It’s that good.
I know that’s saying a lot about a simple pepperoni pizza–and this really is a simple pizza to make–but it is, quite literally, the best pizza I’ve ever had.
You’ll notice that the ingredients are layered in this pizza in an unusual way. The pepperoni goes onto the dough first (I added more on top so it could easily be identified as a pepperoni pizza).
Then you add a layer of cubed mozzarella cheese, and finally, you dollop the pizza sauce over the top of everything. It completely backwards from the way I’d normally make a pizza, but it works.
But the most important thing to get right when making this pizza is to use cubes of mozzarella cheese, and bake everything in a metal rectangular 9×13 inch pan.
Why? Well, look at that amazingly crispy edge. That’s cheese! And it is so, so good. Just be sure when you add your cheese, you spread it right up to the edges of your pan.
My kids usually leave their pizza crust uneaten…..as far as I’m concerned, the crust is the best part. But not when it comes to this pizza. Everyone fights to get a slice of the crispy edge.
You really must make this Detroit Style Pepperoni Pizza. If you weren’t a pizza fan before, you will be after trying this recipe!
Be sure to save this Detroit Style Pepperoni Pizza recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Detroit Style Pepperoni Pizza
- Olive oil
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
For the dough
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rapid rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- Olive oil
For the pizza
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 ounces sliced mini pepperoni
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups pizza sauce
- To make the dough, place the flour, salt, yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- Add warm water and mix until a ball forms and the dough pulls away from the edge of the bowl. Continue mixing for another 30-60 seconds. Roll the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, 60-90 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Brush a 9x13 metal pan with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Spread the dough evenly in the prepared pan.
- Layer 2/3 of the pepperoni over the dough. Then layer the cubed cheese over the pepperoni, especially around the perimeter up to the edge of the pan. Dollop the sauce over the pizza.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until pizza is bubbly and a crispy cheese crust has formed around the edge. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then loosen with a metal spatula and slide onto a cutting board. Slice into squares and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 991Total Fat: 79gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 42gCholesterol: 167mgSodium: 2768mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 40g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Food Network