FAVORITE COCONUT RICE — White rice is cooked in a coconut milk mixture with a hint of sugar and chopped green onions in this popular side dish that’s perfect with almost any meal.
Rice is a popular side dish at my house, but whenever we start to get bored with plain old rice, I opt to make our Favorite Coconut Rice instead.
I’ve tried a lot of recipes for coconut rice and haven’t liked a lot of them. So when I say this is our favorite, I really mean it.
My family loved the entire meal, so of course I asked her for all of the recipes.
Since then, this rice has become a regular part of my weekly menu plan. It’s easy to make and everyone loves it. What more could you ask for in a side dish?
I love the convenience of making this dish in my rice cooker, but you can also make it on the stove top using the same instructions and ingredients.
The coconut milk and sugar tend to make the rice stick a little bit, so I find it helps to lightly grease my rice cooker before I make this.
Unlike many coconut rice recipes, this version isn’t overly sweet or sticky. There’s just a hint of sugar and coconut flavor–enough that it’s different from plain rice without being overpowering.
We do like ours with quite a bit of pepper too, but you can add as much–or as little–as you like. You can also use full-fat or low fat coconut milk–whichever you prefer.
For best results, I definitely recommend using Jasmine or Basmati rice. I hope this coconut rice becomes a favorite at your house too!
Be sure to save this recipe for Favorite Coconut Rice to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Favorite Coconut Rice
- Basmati or Jasmine rice
- Coconut milk
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- White wine vinegar
- Green onions
- 2 cups Basmati or Jasmine rice
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-3 green onions, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- Pepper, to taste
- Lightly grease the bowl of a large rice cooker. Add rice, coconut milk, water, salt, olive oil, vinegar and sugar and mix well. Cook according to rice cooker instructions.
- Alternately, mix ingredients in a large saucepan on the stove. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Allow rice to stand, uncovered, for about 5 minutes before serving. Fluff with a fork and season with black pepper, to taste. Garnish with additional chopped green onion, if desired
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: My friend Janiel