GRILLED CAPRESE CHICKEN — Chicken breasts are marinated in Italian dressing, then grilled and topped with melted cheese, pesto and tomatoes in this light, delicious dish that’s sure to become a summertime favorite.
I love summertime, because it means my garden will be full of fresh cherry tomatoes, and this Grilled Caprese Chicken is my new favorite way to use them.
This is the kind of easy but elegant dish that’s fancy enough for company, but simple enough to serve as a weeknight meal. It’s especially perfect for those hot days where you don’t want to turn on the oven.
The concept is pretty simple–it’s basically a version of caprese salad, served over grilled chicken breasts.
If you grow basil in your garden, you could really go all out and make homemade pesto too.
Obviously, using different colored tomatoes looks pretty, but if you only have one variety of cherry tomato, that’s totally fine. You could also use regular tomatoes, either chopped or cut into wedges.
The longer you marinate your chicken in the Italian dressing, the more juicy and tender it will be.
And if you don’t have access to a grill, you can brown your chicken in a skillet and then finish the dish in the oven.
But I definitely recommend grilling if possible. It adds so much flavor to the chicken! But either way, I think you’re going to be impressed with this recipe.
My family could not stop raving about this caprese chicken. It’s the perfect example of how fresh, simple ingredients often make the most delicious dishes. I’ll definitely be serving it all summer and beyond.
Be sure to save this Grilled Caprese Chicken recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Tips for Choosing and Storing Tomatoes
Appearance: Look for plump, heavy tomatoes with smooth skins. Avoid bruises, blemishes, or deep cracks, although fine cracks at the stem ends of ripe tomatoes shouldn’t affect flavor.
Are they ripe? Ripe tomatoes should be fragrant. If they have no aroma at all, the tomatoes were probably picked too soon and will never ripen.
Storing: Fully ripe tomatoes are soft and yield to the touch–you should plan use them immediately. Cold damages tomatoes and stops ripening, so as a rule, don’t refrigerate them, and don’t buy tomatoes from a refrigerated case.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Grilled Caprese Chicken
- Italian dressing
- Mozzarella cheese
- Produce: cherry tomatoes, basil
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- 4-6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place chicken in a large zip-top bag. Pour Italian dressing over chicken and seal. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and grill for about 8 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of cheese and cook for 1-2 more minutes, or until cheese is melted. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of pesto over each chicken breast.
- Toss tomatoes with olive oil, fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon tomato mixture over chicken and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 462Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 785mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 46g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Creme De La Crumb