LEMON HERB ROASTED CHICKEN — Fresh lemon juice, olive oil and a variety of dried herbs season this delicious roasted chicken. It’s crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, and perfect for Sunday dinner.
Everyone needs a go-to recipe for a good roasted chicken, and this Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken is mine. It works for any dinner occasion, whether casual or fancy, and always turns out beautifully.
Roasting a chicken can be a little bit intimidating–kind of like roasting a turkey–buy I promise it’s really easy and one of those basic dishes everyone should know how to make.
I especially love how simple this recipe is, and it’s made with a short list of ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
Of course, I’m still a huge fan of the supermarket rotisserie chicken. It’s pretty much a dinner-time lifesaver for me most nights.
But when I have the time and foresight to get something in the oven 90 minutes before dinner-time, this chicken is always at the top of my list of savory, satisfying meals.
My favorite trick for prepping this chicken is to get it washed, dried and seasoned early in the day. Then I just store it in the refrigerator until it’s time to cook.
You do want to take special care to thoroughly dry the chicken so all of the lemon juice, oil and seasonings will stick to the chicken. And I highly recommend using a meat thermometer so you’ll know for sure when your chicken is done.
I’m always prone to overcooking, rather than undercooking my chicken, and a meat thermometer insures I get it just right, so my chicken is tender and juicy instead of dry.
A roasting pan and a baster are also great tools to have on hand for this recipe, although you can use just about any sturdy, oven-safe pan that will fit your chicken.
Be sure to save this recipe for Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken
- Whole chicken
- Spices: Italian seasoning, garlic powder, season salt, pepper
- Produce: onions, lemons
- Olive oil
- 1 (4 lb.) chicken
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 onion, cut into large chunks
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse chicken in cool water, then pat dry with paper towels; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Italian seasoning, garlic powder, season salt and pepper. Sprinkle a few teaspoons of the spice mixture into the cavity. Place the onion in the cavity.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan or 9x13 inch baking dish. Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice and brush over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining spice mixture.
- Pour water into the bottom of the roasting pan. Roast chicken for about 1 1/2 hours, basting with pan juices 3-4 times during cooking, until skin is dark golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Let chicken rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 355mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes