SAUSAGE ORZO AND SPINACH SOUP — Italian sausage, orzo pasta and fresh spinach combine in a creamy tomato based broth in this creamy, hearty soup that’s both easy and delicious.
If there’s one thing I can guarantee my whole family will love, it’s orzo. So I was pretty sure I’d have a winner in this Sausage Orzo and Spinach Soup.
I’m of the opinion that a splash of cream makes almost any soup better. Granted, this one has more than a splash, but it makes an otherwise boring tomato based broth incredibly rich and delicious.
If you want to cut back on fat and calories a bit, you can use whole milk or half and half. Your soup won’t be quite as thick, but it will still be delicious.
And of course, if you or someone you’ll be feeding absolutely can’t stand spinach, you can leave that out as well.
I use either hot or mild Italian sausage in the recipe. It usually depends on what I have in the freezer. But sweet Italian sausage would work just as well.
In addition to being comforting and tasty, this soup is so easy to make, and comes together in about 30 minutes. It also makes enough to feed a small army.
So feel free to half the recipe. Or better yet, freeze half for another day. It’s also great as leftovers, so even if you make the full recipe, you really can’t go wrong.
This easy-to-make, hearty and filling Sausage Orzo and Spinach Soup is destined to become a family favorite. I hope you love it as much as we do.
Be sure to save this Sausage Orzo and Spinach Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Sausage Orzo and Spinach Soup
- Italian sausage
- Olive oil
- Produce: red bell pepper, onions, garlic, spinach
- Spices: red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Chicken stock
- Crushed tomatoes
- Orzo pasta
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 3-4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Add the Italian sausage to a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes, breaking the sausage apart as it cooks. Drain grease and set aside.
- Add olive oil, diced onion, diced bell pepper, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes to the pot. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook one minute more.
- Return the cooked sausage to the pot, along with the chicken stock, crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Add additional salt and pepper, to taste, if needed.
- Bring to a boil, then add the orzo pasta. Simmer over medium low for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until orzo is just tender.
- Stir in the spinach and heavy cream. Return to a boil and simmer until spinach is wilted and orzo is fully cooked. Top with Parmesan cheese to serve, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 648mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 17g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Cooks Well With Others