SLOW COOKER CHICKEN A LA KING — This classic dish, served on puff pastry, is loaded with tender chicken, red peppers, mushrooms and peas. And it’s so easy to make in your slow cooker!
If you’re a fan of chicken a la king, your going to love this Slow Cooker Chicken a la King, served over puff pastry for a hearty, comforting meal the whole family will love.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve been eating this dish since I was a kid. I’m pretty sure every home cook in America has made this dish, which gained popularity in the 1950s.
And despite it’s French sounding name, it was most likely created in the early 1900s in honor of E. Clark King II, the proprietor of the Brighton Beach Hotel in New York.
All I know is that whoever came up with this recipe is a genius, since chicken a la kind is the epitome of comfort food.
And with the exception of the puff pastry, it all comes together quickly and easily in your slow cooker.
I like to buy the pre-shaped frozen puff pastry shells if I can find them. If not, it works to just cut a sheet of puff pastry into squares, bake them, and spoon your chicken a la king over the top.
Not everyone in my family likes mushrooms, but I don’t like to leave them out of this dish. I just make sure to cut them into big slices so they are easy for the picky eaters to find and remove.
Another tip for this recipe, don’t add your peas to the slow cooker until just before serving. That way they’ll stay fresh tasting and green.
Whenever I’m craving comfort food, I always turn to this Slow Cooker Chicken a la King recipe, and I’m never disappointed.
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Chicken a la King recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Chicken a la King
- Produce: onion, celery, garlic, red bell pepper, mushrooms, peas
- Spices: onion powder, rosemary, salt and pepper
- Chicken broth
- Puff pastry
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 box puff pastry shells or sheets
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Place the onion, celery, garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms and chicken in a lightly greased slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, cream, flour, onion powder, rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over chicken and vegetables in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours, or until mixture is bubbly and sauce is thickened.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg and water and brush over puff pastry shells. Bake according to package directions. If using sheets, cut each sheet into four squares before baking.
- About 10 minutes before serving, add frozen peas to the slow cooker. Spoon chicken mixture over the puff pastry shells or squares, and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 331mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe