BANANA BRAN MUFFINS — These moist and flavorful bran muffins are a great way to use up ripe bananas. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a healthy snack.
If you’re looking for healthier breakfast or snacking options for the new year, you’ve got to try these Banana Bran Muffins.
I tried and adapted quite a few recipes before settling on this one. I don’t know why I never though of adding banana to my bran muffins before, but it makes them extra moist and delicious.
Plus, who doesn’t need more ways to use up those over-ripe bananas?
Plenty of cinnamon and spices–like ginger and nutmeg–ensure that these muffins are super flavorful. Even my kids like them, and they usually won’t touch a bran muffin.
This recipe uses Raisin Bran cereal, so the muffins do have a smattering of raisins in them. But you can absolutely add more if you’d like. Chopped pecans or walnuts are also a nice addition.
Like most muffins, these bran muffins freeze well, so I often mix up a double batch and stash some away for later–it comes in super handy when I need a quick breakfast on the go.
Just wrap a frozen muffin in a paper towel and pop it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and you’re good to go!
With half whole wheat flour and plenty of fiber, these muffins are a tasty, more healthy alternative than so many other muffins and pastries.
If you want to start the new year out with good-for-you breakfast or snack option, be sure to add these Banana Bran Muffins to your list of must try recipes!
Be sure to save this recipe for Banana Bran Muffins to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Banana Bran Muffins
- Raisin Bran cereal
- Vegetable oil
- All-purpose flour
- Wheat flour
- Baking powder
- Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt
- Brown sugar
- 3 cups Raisin Bran cereal
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine cereal and milk. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, until cereal is softened.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt.
- In another large bowl, combine vegetable oil, mashed bananas, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir milk and cereal mixture into banana mixture.
- Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter among muffins cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 17gProtein: 6g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe