EASY CHICKEN ENCHILADA BAKE — All of the flavors of your favorite chicken enchiladas, baked into a cheesy, layered casserole. This hearty casserole is perfect for feeding a crowd or sharing at a potluck.
If there’s anything my family loves as much as enchiladas, it’s a hearty enchilada-style casserole. So this Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake is always a hit at my house.
And I love that I don’t have to spend time rolling up individual enchiladas. I just layer everything into a 9×13 pan and pop it in the oven until it’s bubbly and golden brown.
We’re big fans of green salsa and green chilies, so this is a casserole style version of green enchiladas. But if you prefer red, you can certainly swap out the type of enchilada sauce you use.
You could even swap the chicken for ground beef for a completely different meal!
Now that there are just three of us at home, I often make this in two square pans and freeze one for later. But leftovers are delicious too, reheated in the microwave.
And this dish is always a hit when our teenage son has friends for dinner. We like to offer a variety of our favorite taco toppings on the side for everyone to personalize their serving.
You can also swap out the flour tortillas for corn, especially if you want to create a gluten-free dish. We’re partial to flour tortillas, but corn are delicious in the recipe too. And probably a little more authentic.
If you’re looking for a quick, hearty meal that will satisfy everyone in the family, this Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake is the answer to your next dinner time dilemma.
Be sure to save this Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake
- Green enchilada sauce
- Canned diced green chilies
- Chicken broth
- Sour cream
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese
- Taco toppings, for garnish
For the sauce
- 2 (10 oz.) cans green enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the casserole
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 16-18 small tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Taco toppings, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce. Spread a think layer of sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Layer 5-6 tortillas over the sauce, tearing to fit as needed. Top with half of the chicken, one cup of the sauce and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat once.
- Finish with a final layer of tortillas, then the remaining sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the casserole is golden brown and bubbling. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 683Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 981mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 38g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe