EASY WONTON SOUP — This shortcut version of wonton soup uses frozen dumplings or wontons for a quick and easy Asian-style meal that’s ready in minutes!
Whenever we go out for Chinese food, my husband and boys always order wonton soup. So I knew I needed to come up with an Easy Wonton Soup recipe I could make home.
Specifically, I wanted a recipe that didn’t involve making wontons from scratch (although that is definitely the best, if you have the time).
If frozen wontons aren’t something that are readily available where you live, then try looking for frozen pot stickers or dumplings. My boys actually say they like this soup better with Chinese dumplings, so you can definitely just go that route to begin with.
This quick and easy soup was a BIG hit. When I served it, my youngest claimed he didn’t like wontons and wasn’t going to eat them. Then he tried a bite and immediately changed his mind.
If you’re using pot stickers, once you ladle up your soup, we just cut the pot stickers into smaller bits with the side of your spoon. It’s a small price to pay for a meal that’s on the table in about 20 minutes.
Feel free to add more vegetables to this soup. I think mushrooms would be great, but since not everyone around here agrees with me, I leave them out. Frozen peas would be great too!
I plan to keep a bag of frozen pot stickers in my freezer from now on, so I can whip this soup up anytime.
Be sure to save this Easy Wonton Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Wonton Soup
- Chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Produce: garlic, fresh ginger, carrots, green onions, fresh cilantro
- Frozen wontons, pot stickers or Chinese dumplings
- Sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 20 frozen pot stickers
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- In a large dutch oven, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Bring to a boil.
- Add carrots, green onions and frozen pot stickers to the pot. Simmer until pot stickers are tender, 8-10 minutes (or according to package directions).
- Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens