SLOW COOKER BAVARIAN POT ROAST — Beef roasts simmers in the slow cooker in a tomato based beef broth, with the juices made into a delicious gravy for serving.
There’s nothing more comforting than a tender beef pot roast on a chilly fall day, and this Slow Cooker Bavarian Pot Roast is a delicious take on an old favorite.
There are a few things that make this pot roast stand out from the rest, including the tomato sauce, and an interesting blend of spices that includes a hint of cinnamon and ground ginger.
I know…..it sounds a little strange, but trust me, the results are amazing! And since it cooks all day in the slow cooker, the meat always comes out tender and juicy.
My husband often requests pot roast for dinner. He even requested it for his Father’s Day meal! And this version is one of his favorites.
Pot roast also reminds me of Sunday dinners growing up as a kid. I’m sure the nostalgia makes it taste even better.
Some people use beer instead of beef broth in this recipe, but since I don’t drink alcohol, beer isn’t something I ever have on hand. I’m sure a combination of beer and broth would also work well.
And yes, you can add potatoes and carrots to the slow cooker, along with the roast, to create a complete meal.
And don’t skip the step of thickening the cooking liquid to make a gravy. It takes about five extra minutes and is totally worth it! Especially if you’ll be serving potatoes on the side.
If you’re looking for a meal that’s easy to make, but hearty and satisfying, you’ll definitely want to give this Slow Cooker Bavarian Pot Roast a try soon!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Bavarian Pot Roast recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Bavarian Pot Roast
- Beef roast
- Canola or vegetable oil
- Beef broth
- Tomato sauce
- Spices: onion powder, cinnamon, ginger, bay leaves, salt and pepper
- 1 (2-3 lb.) beef roast
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 4 tablespoons water
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the roast on all sides. Place in a lightly grease slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the water, broth, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, onion powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and pepper. Pour over roast and add bay leaves to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until meat is tender. Remove meat from slow cooker and cover to keep warm.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water, then whisk cornstarch mixture into slow cooker to thicken juices. Serve roast with thickened juices.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 560mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home