TURKEY CHILI TACO BOWLS — Homemade turkey chili is served over corn chips with all of your favorite taco toppings!
If you’re anything like me, one of the challenges of healthier eating is keeping favorite family recipes on the menu while making them better for you. My family loves Tex-Mex style food like these Turkey Chili Taco Bowls.
We all preferred the texture and flavor of the ground turkey and I couldn’t be more excited that we have a healthier option at meal time.
In fact, I’m already planning to use turkey in some of our other favorite dishes. Did you know it has more protein, fewer calories and less total fat and cholesterol than chicken?
I used Honeysuckle White brand ground turkey in this dish (look for Shady Brook Farms if you’re on the East Coast) and I’ve already stocked my freezer with more for making quick weeknight dinners.
I can’t wait to try using their turkey sausage and turkey breasts to transform more of our favorite meals.
I also appreciate the fact that Honeysuckle White turkey products are raised without growth-promoting antibiotics but are available without a premium price tag.
The turkey chili for these taco bowls makes a pretty delicious meal on its own. But serving it with corn chips and your favorite taco toppings makes it even better!
I like to let my chili simmer while I prep and chop all of our toppings.
We usually top our taco bowls with shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, jalapenos, lettuce, fresh cilantro, guacamole and sour cream. Chopped avocados and bell peppers are also great choices.
I like to make a double batch of chili and freeze half for later. That way it’s ready to go on those especially hectic nights when I’m usually tempted to get take-out.
I love that this meal is so versatile. I serve all the toppings on the side and let everyone choose what they like.
It’s surprising how willing my kids are to eat vegetables when I serve them this way.
It’s also easy to control the amount of chips, cheese and sour cream that go into your taco bowl if you want to make it even healthier.
Be sure to save this recipe for Turkey Chili Taco Bowls to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Turkey Chili Taco Bowls
- Ground turkey
- Olive oil
- Produce: onion, garlic
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Canned pinto beans
- Corn chips
- Taco toppings
- 1 pound Honeysuckle White ground turkey or lean ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- One bag of your favorite corn chips
Optional taco toppings:
- Chopped lettuce
- Diced tomato
- Sliced green onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced jalapeno
- Chopped avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and brown while breaking the meat apart with a wooden spoon.
- When turkey is almost done, add the onions and garlic and cook a few minutes longer. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Stir in the beans and sugar, then season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- While the chili cooks, prepare your taco toppings. To serve, fill bowls with about 3/4 cup of corn chips. Top with chili, then your desired taco toppings. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 448 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 105mg Sodium: 570mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 5g Protein: 31g
Now that I know how much we love these taco bowls with turkey chili, I feel even better about including this easy, family friendly meal in my regular menu rotation.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Baked Chicken Chimichangas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
These baked chimichangas are loaded with savory slow cooked shredded chicken and cheese, then smothered in a cream green chile sauce. They'll satisfy any craving for Mexican food!