You need to know, right off the bat, that I feel slightly guilty calling these muffins. If you’ve ever had Costco Double Chocolate Muffins, you know what I mean.
And of course, there’s the fact that they’re made with a chocolate cake mix. It’s a dead giveaway. But if we call them muffins, we can eat them for breakfast, and I’m good with that.
Costco muffins are enormous, so I elected to make mine in a regular sized muffin tin. I will say–and my family agreed–that these do taste very much like the Costco variety.
I like to use mini chocolate chips, but the regular size will work too. Either way, these are some of the tastiest chocolate “muffins” you’ll ever try!
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Devil’s food cake mix
- 1 (3.9 oz) package instant chocolate pudding
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffins tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Mix in oil, milk, water, vanilla.
- Stir in the sour cream, cake mix, pudding mix and cinnamon. Mix well. Stir in 2 cups of the chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips over the batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.