HOT FUDGE LAVA CAKE — Served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream, this rich, gooey chocolate cake is always a hit!
Sometimes, the simplest recipes are the most amazing. Like this warm, gooey Hot Fudge Lava Cake.
This cake is comfort food in chocolate dessert form, and when I make it, there are never any leftovers. Think rich chocolate cake with hot fudge baked right into the center, and that pretty much sums up this cake.
It’s probably going to look a little weird going into the oven, since it’s not mixed up like a typical cake, but don’t worry, it will all turn out just fine.
I almost always have the ingredients in my pantry, and it only takes about 10 minutes to mix up and get into the oven. Which is probably dangerous, considering how much I love it!
In fact, it’s a good idea to keep a carton of vanilla ice cream in the freezer so you can whip this cake up any time the mood strikes. It’s delicious topped with whipped cream too.
Of course, in a chocolate emergency, I totally advocate eating it without the ice cream.
You can even add fresh berries, or a drizzle of raspberry sauce to make it extra special. But this cake is definitely amazing on it’s own. I mean, what’s not to love about warm, gooey chocolate cake.
Nothing. There’s absolutely nothing NOT to love about this Hot Fudge Lava Cake.
Be sure to save this Hot Fudge Lava Cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Hot Fudge Lava Cake
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup boiling water
- Vanilla ice cream, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 or 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, remaining 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, butter, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture (batter will be stiff) Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle reserved cocoa and sugar mixture evenly over the top.
- Gently pour boiling water over batter. Do not stir.
- Carefully place in oven and bake until the top of the cake is cracked and the edges are firm, but the center is still gooey, about 23-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 5g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe