CHEDDAR JALAPENO CORNBREAD — Delicious, moist homemade cornbread loaded with shredded cheddar cheese, fresh jalapeno and green onion. The perfect bread to serve with any meal.
I’m a huge fan of just about any kind of cornbread, but this Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread is hands down my favorite!
First of all, unlike so many cornbread recipes that are dry and crumbly, this version is so moist and tasty. I’m guessing it has something to do with all that cheddar cheese.
And I just love the combination of cheese, jalapeno and green onion. I often bring this bread along to potlucks and it is always the first thing to go.
This bread is good warm, or at room temperature. I enjoy it most with a nice smear of butter. But it’s absolutely wonderful all by itself.
If you make it and share it, be prepared to get lots of requests for the recipe! In fact, if you plan on sharing, it’s probably a good idea to make a double batch.
You can absolutely use different kinds of cheese in this recipe, so if you got odds and ends of a few different cheeses, this is a great way to use them.
If jalapeno is too spicy for you, try subbing finely diced red or green peppers instead. This is also a great basic cornbread recipe if you decide to omit all of the cheese and veggies.
And sometimes I just enjoy a slice for lunch, or even breakfast.
My family doesn’t love cornbread quite as much as I do, but they all agree that this Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread is the best!
Be sure to save this Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread
- Baking powder
- Eggs Butter
- Cheddar cheese
- Produce: green onions, jalapenos
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and egg yolk, and melted butter.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese along with the green onions and jalapenos. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 277Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 565mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Ina Garten