MEATBALL SUB CASSEROLE — Everything you love about a meatball sub sandwich in convenient casserole form.
I first made Meatball Sub Casserole over 20 years ago, when my husband and I were just married. (I made half the recipe back then). It was one of his favorites. And then, somehow, I lost the recipe.
I’m not sure what brought back the memory of Meatball Sub Casserole, but I recently decided to search the Internet and see if I could find the recipe, or at least a similar one.
Sure enough, there were quite a few versions of Meatball Sub Casserole out there. This version seemed closest to the one I used to make.
My husband still loves it, and it was a big hit with the rest of the family too! And this time I’ll be sure to keep a copy of the recipe in a safe place!
Here’s what you’ll need to make Meatball Sub Casserole
- Italian bread
- Cream cheese
- Spices: basil, oregano, pepper
- Mozzarella cheese
- Frozen meatballs
- Jarred pasta sauce
- Fresh basil
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 pound frozen meatballs, thawed
- 1 (28-oz.) jar pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. Arrange bread slices in a single layer in the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, basil, oregano and pepper. Spread over bread slices. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- In another medium bowl, mix together meatballs, spaghetti sauce and water; spoon over cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted and golden. Garnish with chopped fresh basil, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 522Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 1030mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 19g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from My Recipes