PEACH CARLOTA DESSERT — Layers of shortbread cookies and creamy lime cheesecake filling are topped off with sliced peaches in this classic no-bake Mexican dessert.
My son recently spent nine months in Mexico as a missionary, and this Peach Carlota Dessert is one of the many delicious recipes he shared with me while he was away.
If you’ve ever had an icebox cake, then you’ll have some idea of what this creamy, layered no-bake dessert might taste like. In a word–amazing!
My son would often eat meals with locals, and whenever he tried something new that he enjoyed, he would ask for the recipe. Of course, sometimes the Spanish to English translation was not perfect……
For example, the carlota recipe he sent me called for “one bar of cream cheese,” which I had to assume was an eight ounce bar. And the “two packages of shortbread cookies?”
Well, I just made sure I had enough shortbread cookies to create two layers in a 9×13 pan. Needless to say, I had to do a bit of experimenting, and some online research, but the end result was wonderful.
After spending some time online researching carlota, I learned there are quite a few ways to make it. One thing every carlota seemed to have in common though was lime juice.
I didn’t see many recipes that included peaches, so this version is a unique twist on the more typical version. But my son himself did eat this version while in Mexico, so there are clearly a variety of fruits you could use to top of your dessert.
Be sure when you drain your peaches to reserve the juice. You’ll dip your shortbread cookies in it before layering them in your pan.
I suppose you could use freshly sliced peaches, just make sure you have some kind of fruit juice to dip your cookies in. I think pineapple juice would be amazing!
I’m so glad my son shared this recipe with me. Now that he’s home I can make him Peach Carlota Dessert just like he had in Mexico!
Be sure to save this Peach Carlota Dessert recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Peach Carlota Dessert
- Cream cheese
- Lime juice
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Canned peaches
- Shortbread cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 (15 oz.) cans peaches, drained and juice reserved
- 2-3 packages shortbread or pecan cookies
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk and cream with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually mix in lime juice until mixture reaches the consistency of pudding.
- Dip each cookie in the reserved peach juice, then place cookies side by side in a 9x13 inch pan, until the bottom of the pan is covered with cookies. Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the cookies. Repeat the cookie and filling layers once.
- Top the dessert with the drained peaches. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
I used Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies in this recipe. If you use a thinner shortbread, you may want to make three layers rather than two.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe based on one my son brought home from Mexico.