SLOW COOKER CHEESY ENCHILADA ORZO — Orzo pasta and a spicy, cheesy, creamy sauce come together in the slow cooker in this Tex-mex side dish the whole family will love.
Orzo is pretty much a staple food at our house, and this Slow Cooker Cheesy Enchilada Orzo is one of our favorite ways to enjoy our favorite pasta with Tex-Mex fare.
So I knew my family would love this cheesy version, loaded with southwest flavors like chili and cilantro. I was not wrong
Don’t get me wrong, my Mexican rice recipe is fabulous, and also a family favorite, but sometimes I just want to change things up a bit.
I like to use Monterrey Jack cheese in this recipe, but any good melting cheese will work. Cheddar and mozzarella are great options.
And some shredded Pepperjack cheese will give your orzo a bit of an extra kick. You can also adjust the heat level by using mild, or if you prefer, hot enchilada sauces.
This dish is just so versatile! There are endless things you can add to make it your own. And it’s a great way to use up leftover meat and vegetables.
Don’t skip the fresh cilantro at the end–unless you hate it, of course. I also like a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Both add a pop of freshness to this very rich, cheesy dish.
If you’re looking for something new, and super easy to make, that you can serve with your favorite Mexican meals, you’ve got to give this Slow Cooker Cheesy Enchilada Orzo a try!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Cheesy Enchilada Orzo recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Cheesy Enchilada Orzo
- Enchilada sauce
- Canned green chiles
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Cream cheese
- Monterrey Jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- Produce: cilantro, limes
- 1 (10 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (10 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (4.5 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly sliced limes, for serving, if desired
- Lightly grease the bowl of a large slow cooker. Add the enchilada sauces, green chiles, and 1 cup of broth and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for about 5-6 hours.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the orzo. Turn slow cooker to high heat. Cover and cook for 20-30 more minutes, or until orzo is tender. Add more broth, if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Before serving, add the shredded cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the sour cream and cilantro.
- Serve immediately, with fresh lime slices, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 385mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 21g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe