EASY SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN — Healthier than take out, this baked sweet and sour chicken is sure to become a family favorite!
I’ve got several picky eaters at my house, so when I find a meal that everyone loves, like this Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken, I make it often.
The chicken is lightly coated and sauteed until it’s just golden, then it finishes baking in the oven in a sweet and tangy sauce. Serve it over hot cooked rice and you’ll feel like you’re eating at your favorite Chinese restaurant.
Fifth time I’m making this! SOOO good! And like you said all the children like it! Just wish it didn’t take so long to make, but it’s worth it! Thank you! ~ Beth
And I love that it’s mostly baked, not fried. Which means it’s healthier than the restaurant version, and less messy to make at home than a deep fried version.
There’s going to be a lot of sauce at first, but it reduces and gets a little sticky so it coats the chicken perfectly by the time it’s ready to eat.
Just make sure to get some rice cooking while your chicken bakes. This is almost as easy as ordering take-out, and tastes so much better.
My kids especially love this sweet and sour chicken, and it’s practically hassle-free, which makes it a winner in my book.
Be sure to save this Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Salt and pepper, ginger
- Canola oil
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Rice, for serving
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Dip chicken in beaten egg, then in cornstarch. Cook chicken in oil until golden brown but not cooked through.
- Place chicken in a single layer in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and garlic, ginger and salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well and pour over chicken.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring chicken gently halfway through cooking so it is evenly coated with the sauce. Serve over rice.
I’ve made this several times now and I absolutely love it! I add some onion and peppers to the sauce for a bit more texture but it is absolutely delicious! Definitely recommend. ~ Catherine
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Easy Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.