SLOW COOKER CHIPOTLE BEEF — Smoky shredded roast beef, cooked in spices and chipotles in adobo, then served with a tangy cabbage and red onion slaw.
If you haven’t noticed, slow cooked, shredded meat is a favorite around here. It’s just so easy to throw a roast in the slow cooker, turn it on, and have dinner on the table 8 hours later. Plus, I know my hungry boys will always be satisfied. And this Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef was no exception!
This is some of the most flavorful beef I’ve served up in a long time. The blend of spices and seasonings is just perfect–the meat comes out so tender and flavorful!
And my whole family loves it. It’s one of the meals I repeat often, and I don’t repeat a lot of meals.
If you’ve ever used canned chipotles in adobo, you know that they’re really spicy. So the 2-3 tablespoons called for in this recipe may seem like a lot. But trust me, it works.
The beef isn’t super spicy, but it’s got an undertone of smoky heat that’s just wonderful. Our favorite way to enjoy this beef is in tacos. We pile it into warm flour tortillas and top it with a cilantro lime slaw.
In addition to the cilantro lime slaw, we also like to top our chipotle beef tacos with sour cream, hot sauce and pickled jalapenos. But feel free to use your family’s favorite taco toppings.
You really can’t go wrong with this delicious shredded beef!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef
- Beef roast
- Produce: onions, garlic, coleslaw mix, fresh cilantro
- Canned chipotles in adobo
- Spices: oregano, cumin, bay leaves, salt and pepper
- Lime juice
For the beef:
- 1 (3 lb.) beef chuck roast, cut into 2-3 large chunks
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped chipotles in adobo (from a can)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the cilantro lime slaw:
- 5 cups prepared cole slaw mix (from a bag)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place roast in a lightly greased slow cooker. Add the onion, garlic, chipotles, oregano, cumin, bay leaves and salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until beef is very tender.
- Transfer the beef to a medium bowl and shred with 2 forks. Strain the cooking liquid through a fine mesh strainer into the bowl. Toss liquid with beef to combine.
- Prepare the slaw about 30 minutes before serving by combining all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and mixing well.
- Serve shredded beef in warm tortillas with cilantro lime slaw.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 309 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 37mg Sodium: 630mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 14g Protein: 10g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like: