BAKED BUFFALO CHICKEN WONTON CUPS — Mini muffin tins are lined with wonton wrappers, then filled with a cheesy buffalo chicken filling, then baked until crispy in this tasty game day treat.
You’ve probably noticed that there are about a million different ways to serve Buffalo chicken, but these Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups are on of my all-time favorite ways to serve this game day staple.
You get all the flavor and crunch of traditional Buffalo wings, but in a crispy little wonton cup that’s less messy (and more fun!) to eat.
These spicy chicken appetizers are always a hit wherever I serve them, and they really are the perfect game day snack. I like to serve additional hot sauce and Ranch dressing on the side, for those who either want to spice things up, or cool things down.
And just like traditional hot wings, I always serve these wonton cups alongside some baby carrots and celery sticks.
Don’t skip the step of popping the wonton wrappers in the microwave for a few seconds. This makes them more pliable, so they don’t crack and tear when you press them into the muffin cups.
And keep a close eye on them during the last 5 minutes of baking–they burn quickly. If the wontons are getting to brown before the filling is hot, place a sheet of foil over the top while they finish cooking.
I love bringing these buffalo chicken cups to game day parties because everyone always raves about them. And they taste good warm, or at room temperature, so they are perfect for keeping out during the game.
Frank’s Red Hot is the brand I always use, but if you have a favorite buffalo sauce, that will work just as well. I like to sprinkle my wonton cups with some sliced green onion before serving.
If you’re planning a get-together or tail gate party for game day, you’ll definitely want to include these Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups on the menu.
Be sure to save this recipe for Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Tips for Making Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
- To make this recipe quick and easy, use a supermarket rotisserie chicken. These wonton cups are also a great way to use up leftover chicken.
- Don’t forget to warm your wonton wrappers in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, either in a zip-top bag, or on a plate covered with a paper towel. This will make the wrappers more flexible, so they don’t tear as you press them into the muffin cups.
- These are great served with toppings like chopped green onions or parsley, extra hot sauce or Ranch dressing, or even something crunchy like French fried onions or bacon bits.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Wonton wrappers
- Cream cheese
- Ranch dressing mix
- Hot sauce
- Cheddar cheese
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Place the wonton wrappers in a zip-top bag and microwave for about 15 seconds, or until soft and pliable.
- Gently press one wonton wrapper into each muffin cup. Spray again with non-stick cooking spray. Place the wonton cups in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the cream cheese until mostly melted. Stir in the chicken, hot sauce, Ranch dressing mix, cheese and green onions.
- Generously fill the wonton cups with the chicken mixture. Return to the oven and bake for 5-8 more minutes, or until wontons are golden brown. If needed, cover the wonton cups with foil to prevent over-browning.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe