STRAWBERRY MUDDY BUDDIES — Strawberry cake mix, candy coated chocolate pieces and a white chocolate coating offer a fun twist on this classic treat made with Chex cereal.
It doesn’t seem to matter what kind of Muddy Buddies I make, they never last long. And these Strawberry Muddy Buddies are probably the best variation I’ve tried so far!
My friend brought them to a youth group activity and I went out the very next morning to buy the ingredients so I could make more.
Thankfully I live with several hungry teenagers, because I could easily eat the whole batch myself. Seriously, once I get started with Muddy Buddies of any variety, I just keep going until the bowl is empty.
And they’re so easy! You can whip up a batch of this sweet snack in about 15 minutes, and everyone will love you for it! And this is a great, no-bake treat that’s perfect for getting kids involved in the kitchen.
Just be prepared for a blanket of powdered sugar on your yourself and your kitchen counter. It’s totally worth it though!
These Muddy Buddies are delicious any time of year, but they’re especially great for Valentine’s Day. I doubled the batch so we had some to take to neighbors.
All you need is some cute Valentine themed treat bags and you have something fun and delicious to share with friends.
And if you’re allowed to bring homemade treats to your school parties, these would definitely be a hit!
Just a note: the two colors in this snack may not end up looking very different, depending on the cake mix and the amount of food coloring you use, but that’s okay. They all taste the same–sweet, crunchy and full of strawberry flavor.
This pretty pink treat will definitely help you spread the love on Valentine’s Day, but don’t wait for a special occasion to make these Strawberry Muddy Buddies.
Be sure to save this recipe for Strawberry Muddy Buddies to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Strawberry Muddy Buddies
- Strawberry cake mix
- Powdered sugar
- White melting chocolate
- Red food coloring
- Rice Chex cereal
- Valentine M&M’s
- 1 cup strawberry cake mix, divided
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 12 ounces white melting chocolate, divided (I used Ghirardelli wafers)
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 7 cups Rice Chex cereal, divided
- 1 cup Valentines M&M's (optional)
- Divide strawberry cake mix and powdered sugar between two, gallon-sized zip top bags. (1/2 cup of cake mix and 1/4 cup of powdered sugar per bag). Set aside.
- Divide the Chex cereal between 2 large bowls. Place half of the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and cook at 50% power for 1 minute. Stir and continue cooking at 50% power for 30 second intervals until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate into one bowl of cereal and stir to coat well. Place the coated cereal into one of the zip top bags. Seal and shake the bag until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in another microwave safe bowl. Stir in 2-3 drops of red food coloring and mix well. Pour the chocolate over the remaining cereal and stir to coat well. Place the cereal in the second zip top bag and shake to coat.
- Combine the two bags of cereal in a large bowl and toss in the M&Ms. Enjoy!
You can use 6 ounces of red candy melts, instead of coloring half of your chocolate. I just prefer the taste of white chocolate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 451Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 2gSugar: 46gProtein: 6g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from The Recipe Critic