BEST BANANA CREAM PIE — A flaky pie crust is loaded with fresh sliced bananas and vanilla pudding, then topped with homemade whipped cream and toasted coconut in this classic, creamy pie.
Pie is one of my favorite desserts to make and eat, and this Best Banana Cream Pie is hands-down my family’s very favorite pie!
I mean, what’s not to love about fresh sliced bananas, creamy vanilla pudding, and mounds of freshly whipped cream! Not to mention, the toasted coconut garnish!
Which is totally optional, of course, if you don’t like coconut. But as far as I’m concerned, the toasted coconut is a must have ingredient in this pie.
Everyone in my family raves about this pie, every single time I make it. It never gets old! And although it takes a little more time to make the crust from scratch, it’s totally worth it.
I usually don’t mind using a premade pie crust or shell, but for some reason, this banana cream pie just isn’t the same without the made-from-scratch crust.
A lot of people like to use a graham cracker crust in a refrigerated pie like this one, and that is definitely a delicious option–especially during the warmer months when you don’t want to turn on the oven.
But this pie with a traditional baked crust is absolutely heavenly. It reminds me of the kind of classic, old-fashioned desserts my grandma would serve.
I think it’s totally worth the extra effort to make the homemade crust. And the good news is, the filling is super easy to make, so you’ll definitely save time there.
Just be sure that your bananas are completely covered with filling, since this will help keep them from turning brown. And it is best to eat this pie within a day or two of making it. Which shouldn’t be a problem!
If you want to make a classic dessert that will get raves from everyone who tries it, you’ve got to make this Best Banana Cream Pie!
Be sure to save this Best Banana Cream Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Best Banana Cream Pie
- Grandma’s Secret Pie Crust
- Heavy cream
- Instant vanilla pudding
- Cream cheese
- Sweetened condensed milk
- 1 recipe Grandma's Secret Pie Crust
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (3.4 oz.) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup cold milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted (optional)
- Prepare the pie crust and cool completely.
- With an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Place in a medium bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the instant pudding and milk until smooth.
- With the electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in the sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Fold in half of the whipped cream and all of the pudding.
- Spread a think layer of filling over the bottom of the crust. Arrange the sliced bananas evenly over the crust. Spread the remaining filling over the bananas. Top with the remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or until firm.
- Before serving, sprinkle pie with toasted coconut, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 483Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 194mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 6g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from A Spicy Perspective