CRISPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS — A flavorful chicken and cheese filling is wrapped in flour tortillas, then air fried to create this delicious Tex-Mex style meal.
I love chimichangas! But I don’t love making them. At least, I didn’t until I got an air fryer. Now I make these Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas all the time.
Deep frying is something I rarely do at home. Not because I’m trying to be healthy, but because it’s usually so involved and messy. I just don’t think it’s worth the trouble.
Which is the reason I love my air fryer so much. I can make all my favorite “fried” food at home with no mess and no hassle. And as an added bonus, everything does end up being more healthy than if I’d deep fried it.
I always order a chicken chimichanga when we eat at a Mexican restaurant, so I am beyond excited that I can make them at home, and they’re just as crispy and delicious as the ones you get from a restaurant.
Not only that, these chimichangas are quick and simple to make, especially if you start with a supermarket rotisserie chicken.
In addition to cooked, shredded chicken, the filling is packed with pepper jack cheese, garlic, spices, green chilies and lime juice.
Once you’ve filled your tortillas, these chimichangas only take about eight minutes to cook to crispy, golden perfection.
So pull out your air fryer and make these Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas as soon as possible. They’re sure to become a family favorite!
Be sure to save this recipe for Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Chimichangas
- Produce: limes, garlic
- Spices: cumin, salt and pepper
- Diced green chilies
- Salsa verde
- Pepper jack cheese
- Flour tortillas
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- Non-stick cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, lime juice, cheese, salsa verde, diced chilies, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Place about 1/2 cup of the filling on the bottom 1/3 of a tortilla. Wrap the tortilla around the filling, folding the edges in towards the center as you roll. Place seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray the chimichangas with cooking spray.
- Add 2-3 chimichangas to the air fryer, seam side down. Cook for about 8 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking, until crisp and golden brown. Repeat with remaining chimichangas.
- Serve with lettuce, avocado, salsa, sour cream, etc. and other favorite taco toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 483mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 34g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Skinny Taste Air Fryer Cookbook